How long will it take?
The licensing application process takes a minimum of one month, but on average will be complete within two months.
What may affect the timescale?
The timescale for a licensing application may take longer if:
- There are objections to the licensing application or other complications
- There is a delay at the licensing authority
What are the key stages?
Key stages in the licence application process include:
- Meeting you to take instruction and ideally seeing the premises
- Putting together a draft application and obtaining your approval to it
- Submitting the application to the licensing authority as a draft. It is then forwarded by the Licensing team to the various departments at the local authorities. For example, the police, the fire service, environmental health etc.
- Submission of a formal application once the various statutory bodies have agreed it and then waiting for the licence to be issued
- A notice of the application must be advertised on the outside of the premises, for at least 28 days, and an advertisement placed in the local newspaper. This is usually done as soon as the application is formally submitted as there are strict timescales and other requirements.
How much will it cost?
Full details of our pricing as of 13th January 2020 can be found here.
What is a disbursement?
A disbursement is an expense a solicitor has to pay out on behalf of a client, for goods or services provided to the client, or on the client's behalf. This amount will then be applied to the client’s bill.
What disbursements relate to licensing?
Licensing application fee
Between £100 to £1,905
This depends of the rateable value of the property
Between £500 to £650
Depending on the newspaper’s charges
What exclusions should I be aware of?
Excluded from the fees above are any costs incurred for dealing with any objections. Fees for this additional work would be based on the relevant fee earner’s hourly rate.
Should attendance at a hearing of the licensing authority be required a barrister would be instructed. Please note we would always agree their fees with you in advance.