Please read the following information carefully. This privacy notice contains information about what data we collect and store about you and why. It also tells you who we share this information with, the security mechanisms we have put in place to protect your data and how to contact us if you have a complaint.
Who we are
This website is provided by Burnetts, a firm of solicitors in England. Please see Our Locations to find out where our offices are.
Burnetts collects, uses and is responsible for personal information about you.
When we do this we are the ‘controller’ of this information for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation and other applicable data protection laws.
Our Data Protection Officer
Emma Walker is our Data Protection Officer. She can be contacted from our online form and by telephone on 01228 552222.
Information we collect about you
When carrying out legal work for you we may collect the following personal information about you:
- Your name
- Your date of birth
- Your contact details
- Information relating to your legal matter
Legal reasons we collect and use your personal information
There are a number of ways we process your information:
- where you instruct us to provide legal (or other advisory) services we process your data for the performance of this contract
- where we need to comply with a legal obligation
- where it is a legitimate interest to be expected as part of the running of our business
Who will we share your personal information with
We have relationships with a number of third parties that we routinely share personal data with. This data sharing enables us to act on your transaction.
Transfer of your information outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
It may be necessary to transfer your personal information outside the European Econmic Area or to an international organisation. We use a number of suppliers for the operation of our business who may have access to the personal information we process. This could be an IT supplier providing software support to us.
Where we do use suppliers in a different jurisdiction we will take the necessary steps to ensure that your information is secure and that adequate safeguards are in place in accordance with applicable law.
If you would like any further information please contact our Data Protection Officer.
How long will we store your personal data
We will store your data after collection. The length of storage can be found here. Our storage periods take into account how long we need to keep data in the event of any claims or litigation; compliance with legal obligations; guidance from our regulator and the nature of the data we hold.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have a number of important rights that you can exercise free of charge. In summary, these rights are to:
- Be informed about how we are processing your data
- Access to your personal information and other supplementary information
- Require us to correct any mistakes or complete missing information we hold on you
- Require us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances
- Receive a copy of the personal information you have provided to us or have this information be sent to a third party. We will do this by providing the information to you or the third party in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format
- Object at any time to processing of your personal information for direct marketing
- Object in certain other situations to the continued processing of your personal information
- Restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances
- Request not to be subject to automated decision making which produce legal effects that concern you or affect you in a significantly similar way
If you want to exercise any of these rights, please:
- Email, call, or write to us (see ‘Get in touch below’)
- Let us have proof of your identity and address
- State the right or rights that you wish to exercise
We will respond to you within one month from when we receive your request.
How to change your marketing preferences
Please note if you wish to unsubscribe from any email you can do so by following the link provided in your next email or by sending an email to email@example.com with the word “unsubscribe” in the subject header. It may take up to 14 days for this to become effective.
How to make a complaint
We hope that you are happy with our service and that our Data Protection Officer can resolve any issues or complaints that arise. Please get in touch if you have any concerns (see ‘Get in touch’ below).
The General Data Protection Regulation also gives you the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. The UK supervisory authority is the Information Commissioner’s Office who can be contacted the following ways:
Telephone:0303 123 1113
Address: Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF
The security of your data is a priority at Burnetts. We have a team who ensure that your personal data is protected from loss, damage or unauthorised disclosure.
We will contact you following legal work undertaken for you to give us feedback by way of a survey.
We do not intend to process your personal information for any reason other than stated within this privacy notice.
Changes to this privacy notice
We constantly review our internal privacy practices and may change this policy from time to time. Any updates we make will be posted on this page and we may notify you by email.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or the information we hold about you, please contact us:
By phone: 01228 552222
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By post: Burnetts, Victoria House, Wavell Drive, Rosehill, Carlisle.CA1 2ST
If it would be helpful to have this notice provided in another format (for example; in another language, audio, braille) please contact us (see ‘Get in touch’ above).
Last updated: June 2018