Burnetts logo

Understanding child support / maintenance

Recommended by the Legal 500

Child Support / Maintenance

If you are separated from your child’s parent and your child spends the majority of his or her time with the other parent then you may have to pay child maintenance.

Child maintenance is calculated by a simple formula. We suggest that you use the online calculator provided by the Child Maintenance Service at https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

In order to make the calculation, you will need:

-    Details of your gross salary 
-    The number of nights on average your child spends with you per year

Burnetts' family lawyers are experienced in assisting parents with child support claims. We also regular advise on inaccurate assessments and challenging calculations. If you are experiencing difficulty in either bringing a claim or challenging a claim please contact Burnetts Family Law Team. 

Further information is available on our divorce and separation pages. 

Who to contact

Simon Mortimer profile photo

Simon Mortimer

Simon is a Partner and leads the Family Law team at Burnetts.