'Great legal knowledge' and 'good at seeing ways through a client's problem and achieving a good outcome' - Legal 500, 2019
James is a Partner and Head of the firm’s Dispute Resolution team. He specialises in contractual, construction and commercial litigation, including professional negligence.
* Examples of recent work include successfully acting for the defendant in the widely-reported ownership case of Culliford v Thorpe
* Successfully settling a multi-million pound shareholder dispute involving shares in a company worth more than £8m
* Acting for two generations of a farming family in a partnership and farmland dispute worth £3m
* Professional negligence cases including acting for an engineering company against its former lawyers in a claim worth more than £1m
* Representing luxury property owners in a six-figure claim against their architect.
As a commercial lawyer, James appreciates that a business' reputation is often the most important thing at stake. In all matters, he is determined that any dispute causes the least possible damage to the client’s business.
James studied Law at Durham University and completed his Legal Practice Certificate at the College of Law in York. He qualified as a solicitor in July 2010 with a Law degree (LLB), having completed his legal training with Burnetts.
James was promoted to equity partner in 2019. He lives in Carlisle with his family and is Chair of Governors at Cummersdale Primary School and a governor of Trinity School.