"This team, led by the dynamic and capable James Johnston, offers high quality advice and representation to clients. James Johnston is calm-headed, experienced and intelligent in his approach to litigation." - Legal 500, 2021
James is a Partner and Head of the firm’s Dispute Resolution team. He specialises in contractual, construction and commercial litigation, including professional negligence.
* Examples of recent work include successfully acting for the defendant in the widely-reported ownership case of Culliford v Thorpe
* Successfully settling a multi-million pound shareholder dispute involving shares in a company worth more than £8m
* Acting for two generations of a farming family in a partnership and farmland dispute worth £3m
* Professional negligence cases including acting for an engineering company against its former lawyers in a claim worth more than £1m
* Representing luxury property owners in a six-figure claim against their architect.
As a commercial lawyer, James appreciates that a business' reputation is often the most important thing at stake. In all matters, he is determined that any dispute causes the least possible damage to the client’s business.
James is also an accredited mediator with CEDR, the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution, and is highly experienced in mediation as a form of Alternative Dispute Resolution which can often bring a swift, confidential and cost-effective conclusion to even the most challenging disputes. If you would like more information on mediation or on appointing James as mediator to your dispute please contact him directly.
James studied Law at Durham University and completed his Legal Practice Certificate at the College of Law in York. He qualified as a solicitor in July 2010 with a Law degree (LLB), having completed his legal training with Burnetts.
James was promoted to equity partner in 2019. He lives in Carlisle with his family and is Chair of Governors at Cummersdale Primary School and a governor of Trinity School.