Cases involving children

Child Support / Maintenance

If you are separated from your child’s parent and your child spends the majority of his or her time with the other parent then you may have to pay child maintenance.

Child maintenance is calculated by a simple formula. We suggest that you use the online calculator provided by the Child Maintenance Service at

In order to make the calculation, you will need:

  • Details of your gross salary
  • The number of nights on average your child spends with you per year
  • The amount of any pension contributions

Burnetts’ family lawyers are experienced in assisting parents with child support claims. We also advise on inaccurate assessments and challenging calculations. If you are experiencing difficulty in either bringing a claim or challenging a claim please contact Burnetts Family Law Team.

Further useful information can be found on our Divorce and Separation pages.